Dizzying heights, crazed villains and out-of-their-mind psychos. You'd think that a game with all these would have you hanging by your fingernails. Cliffhanger from Sony Imagesoft doesn't quite hit that lofty mark, though it is a solid action title. Based on the movie of the same name, Cliffhanger features seven levels of high-altitude punch, kick, climb and run button-pounding as you fight it out on the snow-covered mountains with Megalo-maniac Qualen and his band of fugitives. Intermission screens give you the storyline.
Cliffhanger is an action fighting game at heart, with tricky running and jumping thrown in for good measure. Your main moves are punches, kicks, spinning punches and kicks, and jumping punches and kicks. You can pick up and use guns and knives. At the end of each level you get to warm yourself by a fire and restore your energy The seventh level pits you against Qualen in a helicopter balanced on a ledge, ready to fall off the mountain.
Natural disasters challenge your running, jumping and timing. To stay ahead of the avalanche, you'll have to dodge snow mounds and jump logs, zigzagging back and forth. Watch your shadow for landing clues.
The game will stop scrolling when enemies are due to come on screen. Keep to the right side of the screen and attack as they appear.
Find this karate-looking Joe and you'll discover that he likes to pitch bombs. Slay out of reach if you have a gun or can throw a knife. If not, Flying Kick over the bombs, then move to safety and repeat.
At the top of a jump, press Button B to execute a Flying Kick. A Flying Kick is the best long-range intro to an attack. You can also use it to jump over a knife.
This particular enemy combination pits you against a bad guy who gives you a bear hug and one in a black top who charges from side to side. Kick the charger in the short second that he pauses, then direct your attack at the other. Don't let them pin you against either side of the screen.
Press and hold button B for a Spinning Back Kick. The Spinning Back Kick is the safest initial move to prevent energy loss. You'll need two to disable this bad guy. Don't move in for the kill once you have decked him the first time. Let him come to you.
He may have muscles, but he can't swim. You have some character control while in the air. Watch your shadow to make sure you don't leap loo far, and take an icy...and life-los-ing...plunge.
- Cliffhanger levels are not timed. The key to surviving each round is to defeat each enemy without losing energy in the process. This means memorizing enemy attack patterns, and reacting accordingly.
- If you pick up a knife, you can throw it by pressing Button B then Button A.
- Only use the Super Kick when you are desperate, as it takes extra energy from the energy bar.
- If you are shot while climbing or descending you'll have a brief moment to recover, unless you are using Button A to move more rapidly.
PC compatible, P-100
Systems: Windows 9x, Windows 2000 Windows XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.
Game features: Single game mode
2017-09-18 Cliffhanger game added.
- The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkle And Friends
- Fun 'N Games
- Soldiers Of Fortune
- Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy’s Invention
- Robocop vs. Terminator
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
- Gauntlet IV
- Genghis Khan 2: Clan Of The Gray Wolf