ESPN National Hockey Night
a game by SONY IMAGESOFT
A world leader in sports coverage has lent their name to this fast-action, hardhitting hockey game featuring all of the actual NHL teams.
The music and the sound effects are brilliant and the players are larger than life. The digitized speech by Bill Clement, ESPN Hockey Night announcer, before and during the game is totally awesome. The game can be played from two different views, from the side or vertical. Statistics are kept during each game and the percentage of faceoffs won, passing percentage shots on goal, and the number of body checks you hand out are but a few of the stats tallied for you. You can turn line changes and penalties on or off before you play.
The play is fairly realistic, and they did a nice job. It's a good start, but like an expansion team, this game will not make it to the Stanley Cup play-offs of gaming, but it is solid and gamers will have good, quality fun with it.
ESPN Is Sports!
What night is it?:
Every night is ESPN National Hockey Night. Just slot the game, and you're ready to go with North America's hottest winter sport. Hosted by ex-hockey player and current ESPN announcer Bill Clement, this cart lets you choose any team in the NHL and take ‘em all the way to the Stanley Cup finals. For one to four players, this title has the latest team stats and updated rules for the 94/95 season. Choose from two views of the action (Vertical and Side View), decide whether you want penalties and line changes, and select your favorite team — suddenly you're skate deep in the hockey action. Check out the Challenge mode to try your hand at being the Fastest Man or winning the Shootout. All in all, this is a game that gives hockey fans the chance to become coaches with winning NHL strategies.
- If the penalty mode is off, you can knock the net minder down. He has trouble covering the twine when he's cleaning the ice with his butt.
- Skate directly in front of the goalie and shoot for the other corner, and you'll score regularly.
- On D, use the Speed Burst for a great chance of knocking the skater down.
- Location, location, location. More specifically, corners, corners, corners.
- Get lots of shots on goal. You can't score if you don't shoot.
- As a novice player, choose a strong team. You aren't going to get far at the outset with the Senators - try the Rangers instead.
When you hear ESPN, you think of serious sports spectaculars. Put those letters in front of a great new Sports title from Sony Image soft for the Genesis, and you've got spectacular sports in your own living room. Check out ESPN National Hockey Night. This game has something to offer just about any sports junkie — speed, bone-jarring crunches, finesse, and the roar of the crowd. Get your intros and comments from host Bill Clement, and skate into a game that gives you the talents of the great sports at ESPN.