Hook (Sega CD)
by Sony Imagesoft
Sony Imagesoft has come out with a new Sega CD hit for those of you who — like Peter Pan — will never grow up. Hook is an action/adventure game that follows the story- of the blockbuster film. All the fun and excitement of the movie is here...complete with the digital symphony stereo movie soundtrack, phenomenal graphics and cinematic sequences.
- TIP: Wait for Rufio to charge you...then leap over him and attack. Do this three times and the Golden Sword will be yours.
- TIP: The Neverland Forest Boss seems tricky at the outset. Instead of leaping from branch to branch, chasing him and avoiding obstacles, hang out on the bottom left and attack only when he comes in range. Do this three times and he's history.
The object is to rescue your children from the pointy clutches of Captain Hook. He's kidnapped them from your comfy home in Suburbia and taken them to the wild world of Neverland. Getting them back is an adventure through 11 giant rounds of the land where Peter once was Pan. Tink will give you back your youth. But take a few hits and you will turn back into old Peter Banning — complete with a coat and tie — and lose a life.
The game features unlimited continues and a variety of power- ups that give you extra points, a longer life meter and recharges to your power. And the outstanding quality of the music will really give your gaming a lift. Hook is a game that captures the magic of being young and wild. Adventure game fans young and old will enjoy trying to hang the wicked Captain by his Hook!
Be the Pan
Your first stop in Neverland is the Nevenree, where you must prove yourself to be Pan by battling the Lost Boys and Rufio to regain the Golden Sword. After that, you're off to the Neverland Forest to fight Hook's Henchmen. This will also give you a chance to perfect Peter Pan's spectacular flying leaps, dagger, sword and crouch attacks.
The Neverland Rocky Mountains are next with a crew of pirates who blast you with flaming arrows, throw boulders at you and roll barrels down on you.
- TIP: After getting Fairy Dust from Tink, go back down two cliffs and fly right to find these goodies.
- TIP: In this region, stay near the bottom and go right to where Tink is giving Fairy Dust, then fly straight up and right over the spikes.
- TIP: Fighting the final boss of the Neverland Waterfall and Lagoon area is easy if you: Get Fairy Dust, hit him quickly on the left, fly right using only half of your dust, strike again, then fly back left and tag him.
Out for a Swim
The next Pan-tastic level is the Neverland Waterfall and Lagoon. Here you'll swim aided by mermaids, jump from rock to rock in front of the waterfall and fly over spiked floors. You'll need to particularly watch out for the Magic Tigers, whose breath will temporarily turn you to stone.
- TIP: Mermaids can be a help and a hindrance. They won't let you drown, but they may push you up into various explosive devices. Better to avoid them.
- TIP: As you fly up to Tink and start collecting Fairy Dust, remain in front of her, flying until the screen scrolls and has you on the far right. This way you can remain safe and see what's coming.
- TIP: Keep going right after seeing a 1-up between two spiked walls and you can walk through the rightmost wall to recover the Golden Sword.
- TIP: The final boss of the Ice Area is easily beaten if you: Jump to the center pillar and pop just three of his balloons. His own explosives will then take him out.
- TIP: You'll find it useful to learn how to avoid big obstacles. Hit your jump button, with AWAY from obstacle on control pad, then immediately hit TOWARDS on the control pad. Pan will jump over the obstacles and move forward.
- TIP: This area is especially difficult 'cause Pan is followed through the caves by a flaming Will 'o the Wisp. This fire-guy lights his way, but always gets too close and burns Pan, so you'll have to run and let it play catch-up, or leave it behind and navigate in the darkness.
2017-07-12 Hook (Sega CD) game added.