Shining Force CD
a game by Sega
The biggest, most deadly chapter of the celebrated Shining Force series has come home on Sega CD. Fans of Genesis versions of these games will be delighted to rediscover Shining Force's lightning-fast combat and magic systems but surprised to encounter a new, more battle-intensive game style.
When Darkness Cloaks Two Kingdoms
This far-reaching saga of sorcery and sword play starts when a forbidding party of ambassadors from the kingdom of Cypress visits Anri, the queen of Guardiana. They present her with a gift. When she opens it, however, a viscous black fog escapes, casting her into an eternal sleep. The ambassadors escape, and a team of seasoned soldiers is dispatched to battle the evil forces of Cypress and revive the queen.
When the soldiers fail to return, a young team of adventurers, led by a silent and mysterious soldier of fortune, sets sail to settle the matter. As you guide them in their travels and encounters, you unravel an intricate plot that outlines the origins of this mysterious warrior, the evil machinations that have enslaved two kingdoms, and the secrets of an ancient and awesome weapon.
Solid Shining Strategy
Unlike the Genesis versions of Shining Force I and II, Shining Force CD takes the adventurer on a much more linear tour of the magical lands of Cypress and Guardiana. The game emphasizes combat strategy and character development over exploration, leading you from battle to deadly battle rather than asking you to sniff out every nook and cranny of the landscape.
The story line actually combines the plots of four different Game Gear versions of Shining Force, two of which have never been seen in this country. The result is four massive books that will test the mettle of the most seasoned hack'n'slasher.
Shining Force CO strikes a superb balance between the strategy and character development of traditional RPGs and the nonstop battle strategy that most gamers crave. It's the kind of epic that will keep you slinging spears and spells hour after enchanted hour.
- The Healing Rain is very expensive,but it's the best magical weapon available for the bigger battles.
- Buy as many as you can afford, and put them in the inventory of your strongest characters.
- Make sure your Paladins are equipped with ranged weapons, such as Power Spears and Valkyries. These give you more flexibility in combat.
- Retire your healers (Monks and Priests) in favor of Warriors as your party expands. You can always buy magical items to heal your troops.
- If the bad guys have a Wizard in the ranks, avoid placing your characters next to one another. Some spells can damage many members at a time if your fighters are too close together.
- If you want to build up the experience levels of your characters, use the Egress spell before the conclusion of a battle. This allows you to refight the battle when you return.
- You can promote characters that have reached Level 10. Sometimes, however, it's better to wait until they reach Levels 13 to 15, when they're stronger.
2017-07-28 Shining Force CD game added.