Awesome game play, pure and simple. This game has it. Players looking for a cart that breaks tired game patterns will want to take a hard look at Subterrania. Older gamers will see some familiarity between Subterrania and two older arcade machines, Asteroids and Lunar Landing. But Subterrania leaves these oldies far, far behind with color ful, well-executed graphics, dynamite action and superior game play.
A one-player title, Subterrania gives you control over difficulty and button command configuration. There are no continues. You can find extra lives in addition to shield recharges and missiles. For the majority of the game you must find fuel to survive. The canisters are often in out-of-the-way places.
The premise is simple. You have to rescue a mining colony from alien invasion. The action takes place underground in 10 different scenes. You pilot a ship that...if you can find all the parts...can become a sub (Hint: Part of the game takes place underwater!). The ship is controlled by rocket bursts. Back off on the thrust and you either fall slowly or sink like a rock, depending on which difficulty level you've selected. The key to beating the game is learning the best way to use this falling movement to your advantage.
Subterrania is not easy. It is a challenging title that will require patience and a lot of playing to master. Subterrania is definitely a gamer's game.
Think thing? were tough in the first few missions? Now the real fun starts. You have to find the Reactor Core and use it to destroy the enemy And you only have one fuel recharge to do it.Every move must count.
If you've made it to Mission 7, then you've collected enough sub parts to get wet. From here on out your SatScan is out of play. You have to figure out what needs to be done. Tolerances are much, much tighter. A few wrong moves and you are out of fuel. The first thing you should do, after finding the missiles, is look for a special item that will help you through the water.
- The game plays much differently between Easy and Hard difficulty levels. In Hard, you have high gravity and will sink rapidly. N you think you're a hot gamer, this is your level.
- Once you find a weapon color that you like — Red, Blue or Breen — stay with it by letting the weapon power-up change to the same color before you touch it.
- Press the Fire Button to release objects you've temporarily attached to your ship.
- Many of the things you need to do to finish a Mission can only be accomplished by using one object on another.
- Lack of fuel is the most likely factor to bring you down, especially when you are carrying an item. Look for fuel canisters.
- Missiles are the most effective against sentry units and robots.
Last issue, Sega Visions broke the news on the newest Sega game for those hard-core game heads who get into challenge, pure and simple. Subterrania is a one-player game that makes the weak cry out in anguish and average gamers sweat bullets. Those truly twisted individuals who think nothing of scarfing pizza while marathon-gaming 14 hours at a time and who can beat Silpheed or Lightening Force while sleeping...Subterrania is the game for you.
Subterrania puts you on the edge and keeps you there. The entire game is a battle against gravity and the meanest horde of aliens ever to invade an underground mining colony. Your mission is threefold: Defeat the aliens, rescue trapped miners, and find the parts to a sub that gets you underwater in the later missions of the game.
The mazelike, underground caverns of Terrania are packed with power ups of all kinds. Most important is the Special Weapon Power-up, which constantly changes to match the three types of special attack. When the power-up changes to a color you like or to a color that matches your current weapon, pick it up to build your attack strength. Get a couple of Special Weapon Power-ups, and you have major firepower. You also have to acquire special devices. Find the sub modules to advance to underwater levels, detectors to redirect enemy laser (ire, and many other items necessary to complete all nine missions.
Both gravity and water pressure affect your ship. And you are limited by the amount of fuel your ship can carry The key is striking a balance between patience and speed. If you fly too cautiously, you run out of fuel before you can complete the level. If you rush, your ship's remains end up scattered along the cavern walls. With no continues and exceptional level diversity, your mission will be excruciatingly difficult. Subterrania is challenge, pure and simple.
SatScan Transmissions provide a blueprint and outline objectives for each level.
Watch your fuel and shield meters and avoid collecting power-ups before you need them. You can't afford to waste any.
Collect the sub modules in the early levels to move forward to the underwater scenes.
Blast the glowing bubbles in Level 7 to clear a passageway below.
You'll get no help from SatScan' transmissions in the underwater levels. From here on in, you're on your own.
The Blue Weapon power-up is the most powerful. It allows the ship to fire both forward and sideways.
- Use care to avoid killing miners or destroying subparts. It you Mow it, you restart the left with resources.
- Look for the Anti-Pressure Devict in Level 7. If you find and use it you can travel under water more easily.
- Play the game in Easy mode to get used to the effects of gravity. It is lightest here. In Hard mode you can sink like a stone.
- Use the Control option to figure out how gravity affects your ship.
- If your ship is destroyed while returning with the sub module and miners, remain on the level start platform to complete the level.
- Have the proper weapon or item (especially the deflector equipped before you need it. That way, you'll be prepared when the need arises.
- Strike when the Mega Meter is high for maximum firepower.
- Try to reach Special Weapon Power Level 4. It's the highest you can get.
PC compatible, P-100
Systems: Windows 9x, Windows 2000 Windows XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.
Game features: Single game mode
- Choplifter III
- Darius Gaiden
- Revolution X
- Robo Aleste
- Salamander 2
- Vic Viper
- Zarlor Mercenary
2017-09-30 Subterrania game added.