There are an awful lot of shooters on the market, on all platforms. The really good ones are few and far between. Robo Aleste from Tengen qualifies as one of the best this year. And better yet, it is a Sega CD title, complete with the high-quality graphics and awesome game music that sets Sega CD games apart from all others.
Robo Aleste is designed for hard-core techno shooter fans. The game difficulty modes range from Easy to Cruel. Game music is pure techno; originally created in Japan. It's a 10-level vertical-scrolling tide with tight background graphics, many fast-moving enemies of all sizes and a wide variety of power-up Special Weapons. Robo Aleste takes place in a mythical feudal Japan, where mechanization has come early. There are flying whips and other non-traditional enemies and weapons. The game has a fair amount of political intrigue mixed in the dialogue sequences, so you can follow the storyline as the game progresses. You play as the pilot of the Aleste robot warrior.
Take the blue Special Weapon icon for Thunderbolt Ray power. This weapon sizzles just about every enemy that appears. It also does maximum damage against bosses.
Level two and above enemies will try to force you to the sides of the screen, where you are more vulnerable to attack. Counter by launching your companion weapons by holding down, then releasing Button A.
Level three robo samurai blast straight ahead and throw their shields just before you zap them completely.
Level seven pits you against scores of enemies, including river booms that can obliterate you with one blow. Time their swings to run the gauntlet safely...or try rapid fire to destroy them before they get you!
Level nine drops you into a narrow, partly covered chasm. This is a very fast-moving round with treacherous bottlenecks. You can fly over ground-based enemies to avoid their guns.
This other realm boss gets its neck out of joint to chase you around. This is the only time it is vulnerable. Beat it and the game ain't over yet.
- There are four Special Weapons. You identify them by the specially colored icon released by blasting a certain enemy.Yellow: Flying Shadow Formation. Orange: Exploding Flower. Blue: Thunderbolt Ray. Green: Ninja Star
- Even though it is wonderfully complex, Robo Aleste is still a pattern game. Memorize enemy patterns to win.
- Cruel Mode.Js.
- Enemies attack from the top, bottom, left and right. There are no "dead spots" in which to safely hide.
- The Thunderbolt Ray is best used by sweeping side-to-side.
- Collect as many power capsules from blasted enemies as quickly as possible to build your normal shot strength.
- Often the enemies attack so quickly and with so much force that you can forget that the terrain is forcing you into a bottleneck. You cannot fly over walls. You have to navigate as well as shoot, dodge...and stay alive.
Processor: PC compatible, P-100
OS: Windows 9x, Windows 2000 Windows XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.
Game Features:Single game mode
Robo Aleste Screenshots
Sega CD Screenshots
- Aero Blasters
- Aero Fighters 2
- Choplifter III
- Fire Shark
- Grind Stormer
- Salamander 2
- Space Harrier
- Thunder Force 3
- Urban Strike
- Vic Viper
- Whip Rush 2222 AD
- Zarlor Mercenary
- Zaxxon Motherbase 2000