- After a 13-year break Max Montezuma finally makes a reappearance. He is, apparently, the only surviving descendant of King Montezuma, a veteran of the Inca wars who, in 1348, buried his vast golden fortune beneath the Aztec Grand Temple. Our Max first had a go at retrieving the family jewels in an 8-bit incarnation on the Commodore 64 in Montezuma's Revenge, a version of which is also included on this disc. Now, of course, Max enjoys the delights of a 3D world, which he stumbles through encountering hundreds of hazards and coming up against zombies, aliens and deformed rodents intent on doing him damage. Even playing the 3D accelerated version, your journey into the depths of the Inca temple is not wholly compelling. The view of your spindly legs on the opening screens as you begin your descent into the underworld is enough to scare anyone off, but once you get into the game proper things get a lot better. You work your way through a sort of subterranean assault course and the challenges you face are imaginative but not overly taxing. You even comb across some friendly inhabitants who offer advice along the way, but they're pretty few and far between. More common are the head-butting ghouls and squealing Aztec zombies who you can fight off with your fists or a well-aimed kick up the arse. Curiously, the spindly arms and legs which provided a bit of comic relief in the intro come in handy later on when you actually use them to solve one or two of the puzzles. And the plot - restoring the tomb of your ancestors and finding the link between the Aztecs and Aliens - is bearable enough. Despite the slightly clanky graphics - it gets a bit blocky in places - Montezuma makes a welcome return to the games arena in this imaginative and moderately humourous title, and with up to 50 hours of gameplay to plough through there's more than enough in there to give you your money's worth.
Processor: PC compatible,
OS: Windows 9x, Windows 2000 Windows XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.
Game Features:Single game mode
Montezuma's Return! Screenshots
- American McGee's Alice
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
- King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
- Magic Carpet 2
- Nightmare Creatures
- Prince of Persia 3D
- Slave Zero
- The Thing
- Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
- Tomb Raider: Chronicles
- Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation