Systems: Windows 9x, Windows 2000 Windows XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10.
Game features:Single game mode
While it doesn't deserve to win awards for originality, StarCraft's blend of impressive visuals and addictive gameplay saw it eclipse Warcraftllto become Blizzard's premier RTS. It wasn't the first game to use ideas based on three warring sides, but it still went on to become the definitive three-way RTS. Although it doesn't make it past the 'harvest, build, kill' pattern that has been the bread and butter of strategy gaming, it has retained much of its enduring playability and character.
We've been waiting patiently for Blizzard's forthcoming strategy epic for several months now and judging from the updated presentation of the game we received last week, our extensive period spent in anticipation of a major event will not have been in vain. According to the higher echelons of PR Management at Sierra. Starcraft is almost completed and should be with us for review next issue (unless something goes seriously awry at Blizzard's HQ in LA between then and now). Starcraffs extremely versatile gameplay huge choice of units to control and superior graphics will surely put it alongside the leaders of the real-time strategy gaming pack when it's released. With any luck then, this may act as a deterrent to all the software publishers out there churning out half-baked Command & Conquer clones and sending them here to be greeted with the scorn and derision they deserve. Whatever happened to originality in gameplay? (Er, what's that? - Several thousand software publishers) As you can glean from the accompanying screenshots, Starcraft is shaping up to be absolutely fantastic. What you can't see. of course, is how it plays. But that's okay, because we'll be bringing you the full exclusive uncensored review of the game as soon as is humanly possible. Watch this space.
What we thought
"Blizzard's generic mission disk for all your favourite RTS games and you won't be a million miles away from the truth."
What you think
- "You deemed StarCraft for only 88%. Why? It had bad Al and lacked originality. Well, maybe if you reviewed the proper version with the patch, instead of a beta version, you might find the Al is a bit better. As for lacking originality, it has one of the best and most original plots around, with some very original game units and good overall feel. Granted, it's from the same genre as WarCraft and C&C, but then so was Red Alert, and that wasn't deemed unoriginal, was it?"
- "You said in your review: 'Do they wait patiently while their fellow combatants filter through and then follow suit? Not on your life. Prepare once again to stare in horror as your units travel halfway round the universe to get to their destination.' "The German programmers have got the AI 105 per cent right. They've programmed the units with a German mentality... the units are pissed off that they're not in first place in the queue and will do anything to get there, even it means going halfway round the universe."
- Age of Empires Download
- Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings Download
- Age of Mythology Download
- Baldies Download
- Civilization III Download
- Civilization III Game of the Year Download
- Civilization: Call to Power Download
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun Download
- Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty Download
- Cossacks: European Wars Download
- Cyberstorm 2: Corporate Wars Download
- Dark Reign: The Future of War Download
- Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive Download
- Dune Download
- Dune 2: The Battle for Arrakis Download
- Dune 2000 Download
- Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim Download
- Seven Kingdoms Download
- Shattered Galaxy Download
- Star Wars: Rebellion Download
- Syndicate Wars Download
- Total Annihilation: Kingdoms Download
- Ultima Online Download
- WarCraft: Orcs & Humans Download
- Warcraft 2 Download
- WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness Download
- Warhammer: Dark Omen Download
- Warzone 2100 Download